Jan 22, 2010

Yoga as a Creative Act

Being creative is absolutely necessary to being well. It's in our nature to create. We have the opportunity to make something from whatever comes our way - whether it be music from an instrument, a meal from wholesome ingredients, or peace from chaos.

Sometimes I get caught up in my to-do list. I don't trust my inner child to be responsible, so I don't let her out. Who has time to cook when the sink is already full of dishes? Who has time to write a letter to an old friend when the bills need to be paid? But finding how to cope with the stresses of adult life, balancing what you want to do with what you need to do, is a creative process in itself.

I see yoga as a central creative act, a jumping-off place for all other endeavors, because a spacious quality of mind comes with regular practice. My thoughts refocus, setting all worrisome distractions aside in order to arrive in the present moment. To-do lists dissolve in the face of a challenging balance like Half Moon pose, because you generally can't balance on one foot with your limbs reaching in all directions and let your brain chatter away at the same time. Yoga cultivates control of the mind.

When you can focus your attention on the wisdom of the body, the physical sensations of the asanas (poses) become a joy to explore. I'm made aware of my aliveness. As I expand my body with breath, which is also called prana (life-energy), I create length, alignment, strength, and balance - a sound physical foundation to work from in all the other aspects of my life.

In this joyful, silent space where the mind is stilled and the body is nourished, creative solutions arise organically. It is a time to pause, go inward, and see where you are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment